Getting your NJ car insurance is a necessary step in protecting yourself from monetary loss as well as managing the potential risks that come with owning a car. Applying for insurance begins with knowing what you need. Different states have different insurance requirements. So here are a couple of things you need to know before you get your car insured in New Jersey.
REQUIREMENTS OF NJ CAR INSURANCE
Before you get insured you have to get familiar with the available car insurance policies in New Jersey. Likewise, the policy should abide by the car insurance laws of the state. Insurance fraud is a grave offense and has corresponding consequences for offenders and special rewards for those who report them. There are basic & standard policies as well as insurance add-ons or optional insurance you can avail for your car.
The Basic Policy offers restricted coverage but is more affordable than the Standard Policy. The basic policy coverage includes:
- Property Damage Liability or PDL which covers the damage per accident you have caused on to another person’s property per accident; given in cash valued at 5,000 USD
- Personal Injury Protection or PIP which provides coverage per person for injuries you may have suffered in an event of a car crash, also per accident; valued at 15,000 USD
- A sum of 250,000 USD is awarded for critical injuries that cause permanent or severe damage
You can add Bodily Injury Liability or BIL (which does not come with the basic policy) at the additional cost of 10,000 USD.
The Standard Policy offers more coverage at the expense of a greater premium. The standard policy also grants you Limited or Unlimited Rights to Sue. Unlimited Rights to sue come at a greater premium. The minimum standard policy coverage is as follows:
- Bodily Injury Liability worth 15,000 USD which insures anyone who is injures outside your car in the event of a car crash you caused; given per person and per accident
- Bodily Injury Liability for multiple injured persons worth 30, 000 USD per accident
- Property Damage Liability or PDL worth 5,000 USD
- Personal Injury Protection or PIP worth 15,000 USD per person and per accident
- A sum of 250,000 USD awarded for critical injuries that cause permanent or severe damage
Additional optional insurance you can avail for your car include:
- coverage for rental cars
- coverage for labor and towing
- coverage for collisions with other cars
- coverage for damages that do not involve car accidents
How to get NJ car insurance?
There are many car insurance companies within New Jersey as well as insurance companies outside NJ that are permitted to grant insurance within the state. There are many NJ car insurance options such as https://newjersey-insurance.net. Each of them offers an array of insurance deals that will best suit your needs – from what kind of coverage you should have to all the possible ways you can save on premium. Read more on NJ car insurance online or get in-touch with an insurance agent near you.